i figured that something had to give amongst all the change/upheaval in my life right now...and it appears to be this blog. so i'm going to take a few weeks off from daily posting to focus on getting a JOB/establishing my life here in MN...i also want to use this time to do some light housekeeping/redesign around here. thanks for your patience and see you again soon!
this is a quasi-autumn fab/5...because i cannot ignore the change of season!
1. campfires: holy smokes, (pun intended) nothing beats that fall-air-mixed-with campfire smell...so many good adventurous associations!
2. florence + the machine: when you are biking into the blustery wind and you need to feel strong and fierce - nobody does it better than florence!
3. mississippi river: i forgot what a major role this powerful and majestic river plays in the topography and public consciousness of the twin cities. and since the leaves are starting to change the view is super pretty right now! some random mississippi river info found here.
4. cowls: the ultimate scarf! i love this green cowl from etsy seller warm & soft.
5. quilts: i look a quilting class once...ended up with a tiny quilt and an appreciation for folks who can think of (and have patience with) pattern and design on a larger scale. i really want to make a quilt from this book.
(images 1 // 2 // 4 // 5)
Posted by sara.ann at 9:39 AM
At a Window by Carl Sandburg
Give me hunger,
O you gods that sit and give
The world its orders.
Give me hunger, pain and want,
Shut me out with shame and failure
From your doors of gold and fame,
Give me your shabbiest, weariest hunger!
But leave me a little love,
A voice to speak to me in the day end,
A hand to touch me in the dark room
Breaking the long loneliness.
In the dusk of day-shapes
Blurring the sunset,
One little wandering, western star
Thrust out from the changing shores of shadow.
Let me go to the window,
Watch there the day-shapes of dusk
And wait and know the coming
Of a little love.
1. register to vote: get on this...RIGHT now! soapbox alert: people in other countries are losing their lives for the right to vote in free and fair elections. oh, and actually vote too...that's also important.
2. pizza lucé: so so so yummy and (mostly) friendly to allergy-prone people like me.
3. starting to run again: my (temporary) suburban living has thrown a wrench into my fitness routine. i joined the Y last week...but i miss running...or rather having the motivation to run! luckily i found this great list of MN races to pick from.
4. autumn: the leaves are starting to change...so pretty and crisp! and don't worry, the weather channel is all over telling you the fall foliage conditions in your area.
5. the twelve: OK, i tried to keep a lid on how excited i am about the release of this book by justin cronin...sequel to the passage. since it's coming out on october 16th i think it's fair game to start freaking out about how much i look forward to read all 595 pages!
(image 1 // 4 // 5)
Posted by sara.ann at 10:23 AM
true confession: i have a HUGE girl-crush on rihanna. her music helps energize me during my runs and sometimes the songs just plainly help me get up and MOVE when i am feeling bleh! i think that she would wear these fierce beaded earrings by luthien art.
Posted by sara.ann at 9:33 AM
Autumn's Way - Charles Ghigna
In their yellow-most goings,
leaves of maple
ride breezes to the ground.
You can hear their sound
each autumn afternoon
as the crisp air cuts
through the trees
and hurries us along
the golden sidewalks
Posted by sara.ann at 8:52 AM
The Spider and the Ghost of the Fly - Vachel Lindsay
Once I loved a spider
When I was born a fly,
A velvet-footed spider
With a gown of rainbow-dye.
She ate my wings and gloated.
She bound me with a hair.
She drove me to her parlor
Above her winding stair.
To educate young spiders
She took me all apart.
My ghost came back to haunt her.
I saw her eat my heart.
Posted by sara.ann at 8:51 AM
wow, i've been back in MN one whole week...and it's been a busy one: unpacking, a day at the state fair, a weekend working at the renaissance festival and an attempt to get a driver's license! i thought it fitting that my first "artistic appreciation" post as a minnesotan should be an MN artist...so i present (a fellow design classmate at the U of MN) adam turman. i especially love adam's prints featuring fierce gals cycling!
Posted by sara.ann at 9:16 AM