1/10/12

artistic appreciation! margaret kilgallen!

i present to you...work by margaret kilgallen.

please appreciate this contemporary artist who was inspired by folk art and the imperfections of the handmade/hand-drawn. i especially love how she incorporated typography and found paper into her work. 


according to margaret: "I like things that are handmade and I like to see people's hand in the world, anywhere in the world; it doesn't matter to me where it is. And in my own work, I do everything by hand. I don't project or use anything mechanical, because even though I do spend a lot of time trying to perfect my line work and my hand, my hand will always be imperfect because it's human. And I think it's the part that's off that's interesting, that even if I'm doing really big letters and I spend a lot of time going over the line and over the line and trying to make it straight, I'll never be able to make it straight. From a distance it might look straight, but when you get close up, you can always see the line waver. And I think that's where the beauty is." (source)




sadly, margaret passed away in 2001 at the age of 33 from breast cancer, just three weeks after her daughter was born. i am so thankful that her amazing and dazzling art lives on.

No comments:

Post a Comment